Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Positive Discipline Strategies Yield Quick Results | Edutopia

Positive Discipline Strategies Yield Quick Results Edutopia
Click on this link and watch the video.  :-)
I use a similar approach with students in my class as the TAB. Kids are put in a place to "take a break" and reflect on what they did and why the behavior is not acceptable. I don't use the writing part, but I follow a similar process by discussing and posing questions to the student to think them through the process. We discuss the two basic choices - the positve behavior and consequence and the negative behavior and consequence. We talk about ways to handle feelings more appropriately. It is a learning experience. This is not a lecture, but it is a teacher led conversation. At the end, I always ask for the student to summarize what we discussed so that I know that he or she did follow the points. This approach has worked well with my junior high deaf and hard of hearing students.

I do add simple picture drawing and writing appropriate to the child's level of language when the situation is more severe or warrants a more complex explanation.  I am thinking of developing a simple form that could be used that may include a space to draw a simple picture and explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment